23 July 2009

Indescribable States of Being: Jazz

So as I'm typing this, I'm listening to Chet Baker's performance of "But Not For Me." I don't know why I've never heard him before, but he is amazing! His voice sounds so young and so smooth, the only thing better is his trumpet playing. Wow.

Jazz really makes me melt. I always get this picture in my head of a big city with skyscrapers late at night, all lit up with the city lights, and I watch it all from a nice penthouse several dozens of stories up in the night sky. And then sometimes it's kind of like a really good time in your life. Everything is just sailing smoothly, and every now and then there are those jazz notes, those pleasant surprises that just make you breath, and time slooooows down. But you want a little more than that, you want to be stuck in those moments, for time to stop so you can really get to know this feeling that you're in.

Maybe it would be easier for me to have you experience what I mean rather than try to express the indescribable.

Close your eyes and see for yourself.



Here's another one to help get the point across.

No comments: