08 August 2009

Rich Effs!

This past Wednesday and Friday I hung out with my good friend Ashley Foster, who is, by the way, black. Not that that really comes into play with regards to the quality of our friendship, but I thought that I would just mention that. You know, to sort of give you a general description, a really general description. Anyways, she had some of her friends come down from Fresno to visit America's Finest City for a few days. We decided to hit up La Jolla for some food and to take Ashley's friends to the beach since Fresno's beaches are so utterly atrocious. After we had found a parking space we had to walk some distance to the restaurant that we decided to try out. Now on the way to the restaurant, we were just chatting, and we pass this sidewalk bench with a homeless guy sitting on it begging for change. I didn't really notice him because we were all talking about something, I don't really remember what, but that's besides the point. I heard the homeless guy say something, but because I was conversing with the others, I didn't catch what he said until we passed him and were several paces away. My brain sluggishly put the phonemes together and figured out that the homeless guy had asked for change. But at this point we were already a ways away from him and I didn't want to stop the whole group and turn around and walk all the way back. In retrospect, that was a really lame excuse not to help someone out. I felt so bad because it looked like I had totally just ignored him, not to mention that I actually did have change in my pocket to give away. I guess my brain is just slow sometimes. So, homeless guy, if you're out there somehow reading this, I'm sorry!

I mean, I must have looked like such a pretentious eff. Seriously. Walking around La Jolla, one of the richest places in America, going to this restaurant which charges ten dollars for a burrito, and ignoring a homeless guy who's just asking for some help, because God knows we have plenty to share. You know, if the whole world shared, there would be enough for everyone. *sigh*

1 comment:

YoMama said...

Just so you know...I dig the title
Brian